Thursday, November 11, 2010

Game 14: Edmonton at Detroit

I would like to start off this post by thanking our fallen soldiers for all they have done to protect the freedoms that you and I enjoy on days like this. I would also like to apologize to the loyal readers of this blog for the lack of posts, the "fun" of being an accounting student has briefly caught up to me. Now on to today's game....


Today/night the Oilers are in Detroit to face the Red Wings. The first time these two teams met this season the Wings left Rexall Place with a 3-1 victory despite a valiant effort from the Oil. The Oilers then started on their annual November road with a win against the defending Stanley Cup Champions, again, then decided to roll over so to speak against Carolina. I have no idea what happened in that game, all I know is that I get home, check my mail and boom 1-0. Walk up to my lush 3rd floor apartment turn on the television, get confused that the game isn't on Sportsnet One tune in to the Sportsnet West channel and boom, 2-0. At that point I go "YOU HAVE GOT TO BE F**KING KIDDING ME!!!" it baffled me at just how different that game was to the Chicago game. The inconsistency the team shows, albeit they can't really help it, will ultimately lead to another lottery pick, not that another high pick is a bad thing either.

Our main problem does not seem to be the kids, it is our defense and goaltending. Khabibulin should not be playing the amount he has been, especially with how good Dubnyk has played(2.56 GAA and a .933 SV% is not that bad, is it?). Our D though, well we have no long term solution for that, unless Marincin(2nd in WHL D scoring) or Petry pan out.

Speaking of a high pick, I had the opportunity to view Top Prospect for the 2011 NHL Draft, Ryan Nugent Hopkins last night courtesy of a WHL game being broadcast on SHAW TV. Just by watching that one game, he showed flashes but didn't seem to do much. His lack of production can either be attributed to the fact Red Deer played the night before, or that fellow Top Prospect David Musil is just that good of a shutdown D man. Either way he looked flat and unimpressive last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment